Number of businesses
Where people actually work: in large enterprises (with 500+ employees)
Most Americans own stock:
Trade and Professional Associations
- In 2013, the IRS recognized 66,985 trade and professional associations
- About a quarter of US workers need an occupational license, up from about 5 percent in the 1950s.
- In 2014, 7.2 million employees in the public sector belonged to a union, compared with 7.4 million workers in the private sector. The union membership rate for public-sector workers (35.7 percent) was substantially higher than the rate for private-sector workers (6.6 percent).
- Sometime surprising agendas
- In 2013, IRS recognized 1,052,495 charitable and philanthropic organizations
- Forms of organization
- 501(c)(3) groups can do some lobbying.