Search

Friday, February 15, 2008

PETA plays dirty

While I was doing research for my paper on PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) I went to the Capital Research Center site that Professor Pitney had recommended. On the PETA page of the site I encountered a hilarious error, which I assume can be attributed to PETA hackers. If you visit the PETA page of the CRC website it looks like this, but if you click on the link to the 2003 Annual Report, you are transfered to a PETA site, which looks like this. The "Error Message" lists many reasons why you may have been unable to access the page you were looking for, including:

1. The page may be extinct, just as you soon could be, too, if you are still loading your plate with hamburgers, cheese pizzas, and other artery-clogging animal-based foods.

Apparently CRC has not noticed this problem yet, which is not surprising considering it hasn't updated its report on PETA since 2003.

2 comments:

bigchris1313 said...

As much as I'd like to believe that the problem is due to "hackers," it appears that the "Page not Found" page isn't malicious. The report was supposed to be found at a specific location on Peta's site, but apparently has since been moved. I imagine the error page you see is the same one you'd see any time you go to an incorrect location on the site.

bigchris1313 said...

For instance, if I go to www.peta.org/cheeseburger.htm, I get the the same page.

They just have a witty 404 page.